Gas warning for landlords

0
Have your say

As part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the National Landlords Association (NLA) is reminding all landlords of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to check their appliances as winter draws in.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which begins on November 19, aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of maintaining any gas, oil, wood or coal-run appliances.

The NLA reminds landlords that they are required, by law, to have all gas appliances checked every 12 months, and provide the inspection report to the tenant. Using an illegal gas fitter can put lives at risk, only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out gas work.

Faulty appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) leaks. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas which is highly poisonous and can kill within hours, or cause serious illness through long-term exposure. Exposure to carbon monoxide reduced the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, causing the body’s vital organs to fail. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.

In addition to carrying out annual gas safety checks, landlords can protect their tenants from the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning by installing carbon monoxide detectors in their properties. The detector will warn tenants of a leak. Landlords should also show their tenants where the emergency gas shut off valve is, in case of emergency. Tenants can contact the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 if they suspect an appliance is faulty or dangerous.