Maybole bypass plans progress

EFFORTS to cut bottlenecks in Maybole have been driven in the right direction this week as bidding has begun to carry out work on the Maybole bypass.

Companies wishing to offer their services have been able to do so since Monday afternoon, and work is expected to begin early next year.

Speaking at last week’s meeting on the Carrick economy, at which Finance Minister John Swinney was in attendance, Maybole councillor Ann Galbraith said the bypass is the “central issue” for the town. “It would open up so many opportunities locally,” she said.

Peter Mason, a Maybole resident and member of the bypass committee, said he was “absolutely delighted” at the news.

“I can only welcome it with open arms and say it is another step towards getting the bypass, which Maybole has struggled for for 50 years. I am now confident that the bypass will actually come through.”

Transport Minister Keith Brown said the work would be vital in enhancing connections to and from ports at Loch Ryan, as well as separating traffic flows.

“Improving connections between our economic centres and our ports are a key priority for the Scottish Government and will only help support sustainable economic growth,” he said.

Draft road orders outlining the scheme design proposals are expected to be published in Autumn 2013.