MP’s support for barbecue campaign

Labour MP Sandra Osborne is backing the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness in their national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues.

Sandra said that the campaign was recently launched at Westminster in memory of people who have lost their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues or camping lamps.

Sandra said: “Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. Tragically people often do not realise they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.

“I have also been advised by the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Campaign that there have already been some fatalities this year resulting from people taking barbecue equipment inside tents.

“Barbecue equipment is designed solely for outdoor use and should not be used in enclosed spaces such as tents, caravans, campervans or homes. This a vital message which needs to be clearly communicated.”

Sandra said that she will continue to work with the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Charity to raise awareness of how carbon monoxide can be a silent and dangerous killer.