Curling club celebrates 175 years
Kirkoswald Curling Club held a Bonspiel at Ayr Ice Rink on Sunday 17th February 2013 to celebrate the 175th Anniversary of the club.
Players from Crosshill, Fairywell, Girvan, Girvan Ladies and Grants Curling Clubs joined Kirkoswald members for a fun day of curling, a meal and a trip down memory lane.
The event was sponsored by the Baby’s Castle, Hollow Park Florists, Costley & Costley at Ellisland and several club members. Mrs Betty Kennedy, Honorary Member, cut the celebration cake and presented the prizes.
The winning rink - George Hodge (Skip), Ronnie Doak (Third)’Margaret Dunlop
(Second) and Hilda Stevenson (Lead).
The Runners up - James Galloway (Skip), Dorothy Moir (Third), Anne Martin (
Second) and John Burns (Lead).
Kirkoswald Curling Club was founded in 1838 with 32 members. The first Patron was Lord Ailsa who presented the Ailsa Medal in 1848. The club still compete for this Trophy annually. Curling moved indoors in 1940 when a new ice rink was built in Ayr. In 1952 outdoor curling finished and the pond was given up.
In 1956 lady members were admitted for the first time and the League was won in 1960 by a lady skip. Mrs W Lyburn.
At present the Club has 24 playing members and hope to continue for many years to come.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Girvan
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North west