Souters is set to re-open

Souters in Kirkoswald.
Souters in Kirkoswald.

One of the most popular eateries in the Carrick region is set to open its doors again later this month after final approval from the council.

Souter Johnnie’s Inn in Kirkoswald got the go ahead for its final proposals at a meeting of South Ayrshire Council’s licensing board on Thursday 31 October.

And the premises which is in the main road of the village will now simply be known as Souters.

The premises is part of the House of Burns complex in Kirkoswald where the legendary poet went to school in 1775.

And after being devastated by a fire in April last year which saw more than 40 firefighters tackle the blaze, the bar and restaurant is hoping to come back better and stronger than ever.

At the meeting of the licensing board last week, the application was granted without any disagreement.

Brian Dunlop represented Costley Inns and Wine Bars limited, which owns the premises, at the meeting.

The solicitor told the councillors on the board that this was the final stage in the reconstruction of Souters which he confirmed would be reopening over the course of November.

Mr Dunlop also highlighted the new ice cream counter that will be present in the premises saying that some diners might actually find themselves unable to move from this area and move onto the bar area.

The new ice cream and confectionery counter will be situated in the ground floor of the restaurant meaning a re-design of the premises.

The licensing board gave approval for a re-configuraftion of the ground floor kitchen as well as the general reconstruction and refurbishment of the fire damaged premises which is now only a few weeks away from completion.

The bar will also be reduced in length with the cellar relocated due to the re-design whilst there will be increased toilet accomodation on the upper floor of the building.

Chair of the licensing board, Maybole and North Carrick councillor Ann Galbraith said: “This is in my ward and I know the villagers are absolutely delighted at this news.”

When the fire broke out on 18 April 2012, fortunately no-one was in the premises at the time meaning there were no injuries.

Nearby homes were evacuated as firefighters tackled the blaze which caused a section of the famous thatched roof to collapse.

The premises was opened in 2008 after a £1m restoration job was carried out by Costley and Costley Hoteliers.