The architect leading the redesign of Turnberry’s championship Ailsa Course says the work is on schedule.
Martin Ebert, of Mackenzie and Ebert gave an update on the plans on Monday which have been ongoing since the course shut for play at the end of September.
Ebert said: “Great progress has been made so far.
“The spectacular holes are just about complete with the 9th green being the first to go down followed by the other par three, the 11th and they are going to be as good as any par threes anywhere.
“The par five 14th is completely good and it’s looking really good on the old 9th fairway and it’s position fits in really well with the seascape.
“We then moved onto the fourth green and laid down the work also on the par three sixth.
“There is now going to be a real debate among golfers as to what their favourite par three at Turnberry is.”
Ebert says he thinks Turnberry’s club members will be excited by the changes being made.
“Around 70 members came out with us on a Sunday recently and they’ve always been very supportive. I can’t speak for them but I think they are even more excited now.”
Despite owner Donald Trump making a bid for the White House, Ebert is still in regular contact with him.
“I’m in very regular contact and infact I gave him an update on Friday to the plans.
“His passion for Turnberry is undiminshed.”
Ebert says a lot of work needs to be done before the end of the year but is confident the course will re open on its June 1 target date.
“All the greens need to be put down before the end of the year and so far we’ve been lucky with the weather and there’s no cause for concern right now.
“I’m planning to come over once a week from now until Christmas.
“This is the biggest project I’ve done and I’m very lucky to be involved in a lot of Open venues but the sheer scale of this makes it the biggest.
“Along with Mr Trump, we’re planning to make it the greatest golf course it can possibly be.”