Another massive game for Girvan

editorial image
Share this article

IT’S another massive game for Girvan on Saturday as the club battle for survival in the Stagecoach west of Scotland superleeague first division.

Last Wednesday night Girvan drew 2-2 at home against Hurlford United.

Girvan took the lead in the 15th minute through Neil Gilmour but Hurlford made it 1-1 just before the break.

Girvan then went 2-1 down in the 65th minute before Tommy Maitland secured a point for Girvan.

Then on Saturday Girvan played Shotts Bon Accord, who are looking forward to the Scottish junior cup final.

Again the outcome was a point for Girvan but having been 3-0 down at one stage the team would settle for a draw against a good side.

Girvan had a good opening 10 minutes int he match with early chances for John Bradford and Lee McCrea.

But Shotts came into teh game and in 31 minutes took the lead with a goal against the run of play.

They could have gone 2-0 in front in 41 minutes but an attempted chip over the Girvan keeper went over the bar.

However it was 2-0 in 44 minutes when Shotts got a goal out of nothing after a goalmouth scramble.

In the 56th minute Shotts went 3-0 up after Girvan half-cleared their lines and a shot from 12 yards out ended up in the net.

At this stage it looked as if Girvan were down and out but they should tremendous resolve to battle back.

In the 60th minute GIrvan got a free kick and Kevin Biggart was able to get the ball through the wall and into the bottom corner.

In the 70th minute it was 3-2 when John Bradford turned a shot into the net after a Lee McCrea corner.

Danny Cunningham was unfortunately taken off in the 75th minute after a clash of heads and required 15 stitches in a head wound.

Girvan then had to bring on their one remaining substitute, goalkeeping sub, Ian Paterson.

And in the 85th minute Paterson played the ball into John Bradford who beat a defender but his shot went just over the bar.

But in the 88th minute Girvan completed their fightback when they got a free kick outside the box.

A Kevin Biggart shot looked to have been covered by the goalkeeper but the shot went through his hands and into the net.

GIrvan were then very unlucky in the 90th minute when a Tommy Maitland overhead kick squeezed past the post.