Ayr Roads Cycling club are delighted to announced that they have secured the renewal of funding with car dealership Harry Fairbairn for 2016, a name that has long been associated with the club.
Official sponsorship of Ayr Roads by the dealership started in 1988 and has remained ever since making it one of the longest sponsorship deals in the Scottish cycling scene.
During that time Ayr Roads have won district, Scottish, European and World Championship medals at all levels and they have also held Scottish records at junior and senior levels for both men and women.
The club is celebrating its 85th anniversary this year and has had another successful year with the ladies team of Toni McIntosh and Lynne Wardrop winning the Scottish National BAR championships for a third year in a row whilst Toni and Lynne teamed up with Janet Erskine to win the Gold Medal in the Scottish Time Trial Championships last month.
As 2016 nears, hopes are high that it could be an even better year for the club and the sponsorship with Harry Fairbairn will certainly help.
Richard Linden, General Manager of Harry Fairbairn Irvine said: “We are incredibly proud to continue our support for Ayr Roads Cycling Club- a group that has always been closely linked with the Harry Fairbairn name and legacy.
“The club has achieved remarkable success over the years and we hope this continues into 2016 and beyond.”
Harry Fairbairn’s links with Ayr Roads stretch back to 1942 when Harry and his older brother Jim became members with Harry being mentored by Ayr Roads founder Davie Bell.
Still a youngster in 1944, Harry established himself as a true competitior going on to become club and district champion as well as winning the hill climb event in the Scottish National Championships on two seperate occasions.
Harry opened a small bike repair shop in Waggon Road in Ayr in 1948 before moving onto larger premises in Irvine where he continued with his first love of cycling alongside his wife Margaret, who is now Ayr Roads President.
Upon passing in 1996, Harry was admirably described in one national newspaper asn “An owner of a major car dealership and cyclist.”
On the club scene the midweek group took to Northern roads by the way of Irvine, Lochwinnoch and then onto to the cycle path to Bridge of Weir, Port Glasgow, Greenock before climbing up to Loch Thom.
The coast road beckoned and at Largs a stop for lunch was called before heading on home to complete a days riding which clocked in at over 80 miles.
A report of the clubs AGM and trophy winners will feature next week.