Carrick keep up the pressure at top of the league

Action from Maybole's game with Alan Glenn's at the weekend
Action from Maybole's game with Alan Glenn's at the weekend

In awful conditions, Carrick RFC emerged as 47-7 winners over Allan Glens on Saturday to keep up the pressure on GHK at the top of BT West Division One.

The result means Carrick sit in second place in the standings, four points behind leaders GHK.

Laing and O’Rourke sponsored Saturday’s match with Under Armour sponsoring the ball and both were appreciated especially the former as they provided dugouts which kept both coaching teams dry.

Carrick kicked off into a gale and within a minute the visitors were penalised in front of their posts and Christie had the easiest of conversions.

Shortly after Allan Glens looked likely to score but a big second rower instead of using brawn to crash over tried to pass which was gleefully intercepted by Clark who ran the 90 metres to score. Christie again converted.

There were mistakes on both sides but the Carrick forwards were quicker to the breakdown and when an Allan Glen’s threequarters move broke down in the midfield the home pack took the ball on which released Montgomery who made the initial break, fed Ward who drew the full back and passed to McCulloch who scored in the right corner.

Twenty minutes gone, fifteen points to the good and playing into a gale the game was surely over and it was now about control to the interval and look for the bonus point tries after the break.

But it was not to be, a penalty allowed Christie to kick to the corner and from the simplest of lineout moves Raby scored to give the home side a twenty point advantage

Twice, this season Carrick have had three tries in the first half and have failed to gain the fourth bonus point try. It was not to happen on this occasion. From a midfield scrummage, man of the match Smith picked up and breached the visitor’s defence. From the ensuing ruck scrum half Ward broke, slipped the ball to Montgomery who scored an unconverted try. The Glens forwards were under the cosh and conceded another try when the Carrick eight mauled them over the line from a lineout. Raby came up with the ball. Montgomery got his second, again from recycled ball.

Glens eventually troubled the score board with 15 minutes of the game to go.

The home side reacted with two quick scores one from Montgomery to give him his hat trick and another from McCulloch with McCulloch converting Montgomery’s score giving a comfortable 47-7 victory to Carrick.

Coach Brown was pleased with his charges’ performance but cautioned that from now on every game is a cup tie if Carrick have to overcome the four point deficit to league leaders GHK. Next Saturday’s game is away to Glasgow Accies who are sitting just behind Carrick in the table.