Carrick keep up winning ways

Cumnock 7

Carrick 21

Carrick travelled to Cumnock on Saturday without the services of several key players due to injury or unavailability, but a superb performance saw them keep up their unbeaten run.

On a wet and miserable day and a heavy pitch, both teams took to the pitch with a lot riding on the game, Carrick looking to extend their unbeaten run in the league and Cumnock fighting for a much-needed win to get their season back on track.

With regular fly half Euan McGregor missing due a knee injury, Connor Wyllie came in for his first start in his preferred position of fly-half and there were also starts for Jony Webster in the back row and Grant Ward at scrum-half.

Wyllie got the game under way, but his side were on the back foot in the opening stages as the home side took control.

Carrick soon found their feet, however, and secured good possession to fight fought their way into the Cumnock half.

After a period of sustained pressure and strong carries by the Carrick forwards, Chris Reid barged over the opposition line from close range and Wyllie converted, taking the score to 7-0.

The first half continued with Carrick dominating proceedings in the forwards and this forced Cumnock into a early change at fly-half.

In the second half, the hard-fought contest continued, with Cumnock working hard in the forwards, but Carrick looked the stronger of both teams.

They were dominant in the scrum and contact area, with Michael Eaglesham and Michael Paton dominating the line out. The Carrick forwards provided a good platform for Ward to feed the backs, who looked dangerous in attack and solid in defence.

With Carrick in the ascendancy, they spent a large amount of time in the opposition half and some enterprising play saw them break the Cumnock defence, keeping the ball alive for Webster was on hand to power his way over the line to score the second try, converted by Wyllie.

Carrick suffered a bitter blow shortly afterwards when try scorer Chris Reid left the field due to injury. A number of substitutes were made, with Alexander Kerr returning, and his first touch of the ball came after Carrick shipped the ball out wide for the substitute to dive over in the corner.

Wyllie again added the extras.

Carrick looked to secure the bonus point try, but Cumnock fought back and, despite Carrick’s best efforts, were able to secure a last minute consolation try.

Club captain Wullie Deans was delighted with his side’s victory.

He said: “A very good win for the Carrick. Man of the match was awarded to Jony Webster, but there were a number of other contenders as the whole team collectively put in a very strong performance.”

The next match is at home to Clydesdale on Saturday, October 15, at Carrick Academy.

Carrick: Stuart Birnie; Simson McCreath, Ewan Alexander, Ross Knight, Sean Young; Connor Wyllie, Grant Ward; Ewan McKay, Chris Reid, John Alexander, John Hutton, Michael Eaglesham, Jony Webster, Wullie Deans, Michael Paton. Subs: David Templeton, Gary Steel, Aiden McCartney, Alexander Kerr, Willie Wyllie.