Carrick lose thriller at Glasgow Accies

Carrick get the ball moving against Glasgow Accies
Carrick get the ball moving against Glasgow Accies

Carrick RFC lost out by one point to Glasgow Accies in a narrow encounter on Saturday as they look to finish the season in second place in the league.

Carrick lost the game 33-32 to third placed Accies in their penultimate game of the season, leaving them work to do to secure the runners-up finish.

Despite a valliant fightback from 33-7 down Accies edged out winners 33-32.

Despite a valliant fightback from 33-7 down Accies edged out winners 33-32.

It was a windy bright day at New Anniesland, the home of Glasgow Accies. The two sides, second and third in the league served up a ten try thriller with each half being the mirror image of the other. Both sides playing into the wind lost an early score and then proceeded to dominate the half by scoring four unanswered tries.

Carrick started by kicking off deep in the home side’s twenty two. The young Accies side throwing caution to the wind tried to run the ball out but the pass was intercepted allowing McCulloch to score an unconverted try.

The home side continued to play an open free flowing game which Carrick struggled to contain. It was no surprise then when a quick penalty was taken poor Carrick defence produced the initial break giving supporting hooker, Valentine, a score in the corner. Fraser converted to give the Accies the lead.

Christie restored the Carrick lead, in the 20th minute, with a penalty but for the next 20 minutes questions were asked about Carrick’s skill and fitness levels as the home side stretched a Carrick side that seemed to have lost the ability to tackle or keep possession.

In contrast the home side’s pace and continuity play produced three excellent tries. Fraser converted two, the last of which was in the final minute giving Accies a comfortable 26 – 8 lead.

Coach Brown’s word at half time did not appear to have any effect as from the kick off Accies scored another converted try. Whatever was said after that try it was a galvanised Carrick side that kicked off. The visiting forwards started to dominate their counterparts and denied their opponents the ball. Replacement winger, Wyllie, took advantage of good driving play from the pack with a score in the corner. Christie converted.

Now only 18 points behind and the home side crumbling the Carrick faithful hoped for three converted scores to rescue the game.

Three scores were achieved, the first from a push over which was converted and one apiece from the Speirs brother both conversions narrowly missing the last being the final act of the game giving Accies the narrowest of wins by 33 – 32. This was a game which was deservedly won by the home side not for their expansive game of the first half but their dogged defence in the last quarter of the match. Next Saturday Carrick play away to Newton Stewart. A win would see them cementing their second place.