Carrick make a fine start to life in Division One

Action from Carrick's match on Saturday
Action from Carrick's match on Saturday

Carrick RFC made a fantastic start to life in BT Scottish West Division One as they beat Lenzie 74-13 at Maybole on Saturday afternoon.

It was a far cry to two years ago when Lenzie destroyed a very young and inexperienced side as they went onto gain promotion to West Division One.

Within two minutes a Carrick attack was stopped just short of the visitor’s line. The home eight pressurised the big Lenzie pack at the scrummage and the ball popped out the side of their scrum. Blind side forward Ian Speirs was the quickest to react and he had the simplest of task to pick up the ball and fall over to score. Johnson added the extra points as well as a penalty conversion three minutes later.

Three minutes later, a blind side break by Alan Speirs who then fed Russ McCulloch, and the expectant father, sped down the wing a little more quickly than the imminent arrival of his offspring. Nine minutes gone and the home side had fifteen points on the board.

Lenzie was bloodied but not out and the deficit was reduced by a penalty from hooker McKinlay. The home side lost its shape as it tried to play a high pace game resulting in most of the game being played in its half. The Carrick defence though was solid around the breakdowns and the only scores was an exchange of penalties between Johnson and McKinlay.

Moving into the second quarter of the half the visitors continued to press but with five minutes of the half left they were hit by the sucker punch.

A Lenzie attack broke down well into the Carrick half, Raby snapped up the loose ball, flicked it to McCulloch and not a finger was laid on him has he disappeared down the wing, rounded the full back to score under the posts. Johnson converted bringing the score to 25 – 6. Again the combination punches hit the mark as the round finished with another McCulloch try from a scrummage pickup, a Speirs intrusion and the bonus point try in the corner. Johnson converted to give the half time score 32 – 6.

The second half started much as the first had started. Within two minutes McCulloch was on the score sheet again. Carrick then drove a lineout fifteen metres to score. Callum Smith claimed the try. Johnson was having a field day with his conversions

It was a long last 18 minutes for the visitors with four more tries; Alan Speirs with two, one either side of McCulloch’s fifth try and Lewis Clark finally getting on the score sheet with one. Johnson converted all four giving a final score of 74 -13. Carrick folk have two choices next Saturday. Travel to Glengarnock or to stay in Maybole to cheer on the 2nd XV.