Carrick rack up 101 points in win over Annan

Carrick RFC made it three wins from three in BT West Division One as they racked up 101 points in a hammering of Annan at Maybole.

The 101-7 victory keeps the Carrick men at the top of the table ahead of the away clash at Allan Glens on Saturday (4th October) which has a 3pm kick off in Bishopbriggs.

The crowd at Maybole on Saturday were treated to a fine display of attacking by Carrick. Within a minute, loose head prop, Davidson, crossed the whitewash from a delayed pass from his tight head Raby. Johnson converted.

By the 13th minute the home side had the bonus point with tries from Clark, Ewan Alexander and Clark again two of which converted by Johnson giving Carrick a 26 point lead.

It took another seven minutes before vice captain Knight scored a converted try, the first of his five tries he was to score.

There was some resistance from Annan and after a period of sustained pressure Bingham slid through the Carrick defence to score beside the posts. McCann converted. This produced an immediate reply and for the next sixteen minutes to half time the visitors leaked four more tries through Knight, Johnson, Knight again and in the last play of the half through Clark to give him his hat trick. Johnson converted all four to give the half time score 61-7.

The first quarter of the second half was a poor one for the home side. The Annan defence stiffened but the Carrick attacked had lost its shape as their play became loose as everyone tried to get into the scoring act.

scrummage creaking

Wyllie was the first to open the Carrick account of the half and with the Annan scrummage creaking Grant Alexander came up with the ball when the scrummage was driven over the line..

The coup de grace was delivered over the final fifteen minutes of the half as Knight, Raby. Alan Speirs and finally Knight for his fifth try of the day all converted by Johnson to give the final score of 101-7

Annan competed all day long but their hopes and aspirations of an under strength side was consigned to that famous room of TV fame.

D&T security must have been pleased with their ball sponsorship as it produced sixteen tries and fourteen conversions.

The weekend activities for Carrick rugby had began at Wellington as the academy made the journey up the A77 to play at the Bill Mowat Sportsfield.

It was an immense pleasure to see four games of rugby all being played simultaneously at the same ground. It is a far cry from conditions at Maybole where one undersized pitch and two overflow pitches at Rozelle, Ayr are used to service all of Carrick Rugby’s requirements which include two adult sides, mini and micro rugby, as well as five boys and three girls Academy rugby l teams. The different facilities of Friday’s two competing schools certainly provide some clue to the malaise of lack of numbers in Scottish rugby and how improved facilities in community clubs and schools can help solve that problem.

The game that seemed to create the greatest interest was that between was that between the two respective first fifteens. A two deep crowd of parents, relations and Carrick senior players roared on their youngsters. It looked to be of no avail as a speedy Wellington threequarter line carved through some faint hearted tackling of the Academy side. With 8 minutes of the game to go and trailing 36-19 a few men of the soil stood their ground and attacked through the forwards scoring three tries to clinch a win 38-36.