Carrick RFC continue good start to the season

Carrick RFC continued their good start to life in BT West Division One as a 55-9 win over rivals Garnock saw them go top of the league after a second successive win.

Last season Glengarnock had been the venue for an epic match between Garnock and Oban, with a last minute penalty from Garnock sealing their and Carrick’s promotion to West One.

However, there was no sign of any favours being granted in this match with Carrick coach Gordon Brown hopeful of victory after Garnock had lost their influential coach Paul Johnson during the close season.

It was a glorious sunny day and a perfect pitch for thirty players to express themselves.

Carrick had all the early pressure and spurned a couple of scoring chances but Garnock’s counter rucking at breakdown and aggressive defence in the midfield disrupted the visitors attack. The home side gradually fought their way back into the game and when Walker’s break was stopped in the twenty two the visitors were adjudged offside at the tackle. Walker converted to give Garnock a three point lead. Two minutes later in the 29 minute he added another three points.

Six points down and Carrick having the greater territorial advantage it might be thought that Garnock did not deserve their lead but their commitment at the breakdown was denying the visitors space and time to exploit their talents.

An exchange of penalties between Kyle Johnson for the visitors and Walker left the score at 9 – 6 with five minutes of the half left.

In the final play of the half the visitors finally nosed in front when from a lineout the Carrick forwards took the ball on with the Carrick hooker, Yan Young, crashing over to score. Johnson converted to give the visitors a slim one point lead at half time.

Obviously Brown had a few words with the Carrick forwards as their desire and aggression, in the second half, over powered the Garnock eight and within 15 minutes of the half the home support had been silenced.

The demolition began with a push over score after six minutes, two minutes later from the kick off a Smith charge is taken on by the forwards and when the drive is stopped Clark scores. Johnson converts both and adds a penalty. Now at 27 – 9 Garnock are a spent force and the visitors are hunting for the bonus point try.

The Rick support did not have long to wait as from the kick off forwards, again, made ground, Grant Ward fed McCulloch down the blind side and the supporting Garey Thompson took his inside pass to score Two minutes later the dose was repeated, this time with McCulloch himself scoring. With Johnson converting all, the half time score of 10 - 9 to a score 41- 9 in fifteen minutes must have even pleased the fiercest of critics

Lewis Clark and Ian Speirs finished the try fest but mentioned must be made of the outrageous dummies in both scores, Clark for his score from close in but Ally Dale’s dummy was a classic in a magnificent forward interpassing movement. Johnson converted both to give the final score to 55 – 9

Unfortunately the second’s game did not take place as there was a late call off from their opponents.

This Saturday coming Carrick entertain Annan with a 3pm KO at the Academy.