Carrick rugby march through to first major final

Carrick defeated Glasgow Accies 36-25 in a pulsating match on Saturday to earn a place in the BT West Shield final.

They are set to face Annan, who defeated Oban in the other semi final on 20 February 2016, with a venue set to be confirmed.

Despite the influential Michael Kirk being unavailable a strong backline of Gregor, Lang and Smith lined up and it was Lang who scored the first try before Accies hit back with a penalty.

It was visitors Accies who then took the lead with a fine try which was converted. Carrick’s Ewan Alexander was the architect of bringing the game level as he found Gregor who went over and this time Carrick’s try was converted.

A Carrick line out infringement gave the Accies ten the chance to score a penalty which put them 13-12 ahead at half time.

Carrick’s coaches told the team at the break that doing the basics was how they were going to get back into the game but there was more hard work to do after the Accies prop scored a converted try to give them an eight point lead.

That jolted Carrick into action and from an Allan Spiers run, Carrick scored a penalty to bring them within five.

The kick off was picked up by Iain Spiers and after a break from Alexander, it was Gregor who finished off the move to level the game at 20-20 before a successful conversion.

Carrick were now dominant in the pack and scrum as well as gaining three penalties and two strikes against the head. From a line out catch and drive Andrew Smith put the ball over the line and to round off this dominant period, Lang finished off a move from 30 metres.

It was Accies who had the final word with a well worked try with six minutes to go to give a final score of 36-25 to Carrick.

At full the big crowd and squad celebrated Carrick’s first time in making it to a final with coaches Brown and Glen even smiling!

This Saturday (October 24) sees the first XV host Kilmarnock in the league with kick off at 2pm and a big crowd would be appreciated.