Carrick rugby rack up another fine win

Carrick winning a smart line-out on their way to beating Cambuslang.
Carrick winning a smart line-out on their way to beating Cambuslang.

Carrick RFC moved up to second in RBS West Division Two with a fine 33-12 win against Cambuslang on Saturday.

It was a good day all round for the Maybole side as they jumped above Oban into the promotion places and stretched ahead of Cambuslang who started the day in fourth place.

The Cambuslang captain’s clarion call, for pressure from his team in the early exchanges, may have had some bearing on Carrick’s first score. The visitors were penalised for an offside offence at the first ruck on their ten metre line. Greg Montgomery, ignoring the chance for an early three point penalty, tapped, shot off like a startled rabbit, linked with right winger Russ McCulloch who scored an unconverted try in the corner.

This early reverse unsettled the visitors as they leaked another try six minutes later. Gordon Gregor tied up a poor lineout throw from the visitors, the home pack drove on into the midfield defence of Cambuslang, recycled quick ball to the backs and the intruding full back Wyllie scored in the left corner.

A shell shocked Cambuslang could do little right. Garey Thompson stripped their centre of possession. Montgomery fed fly half Johnson who sent out a glorious long pass to Louis Clark who strode over for another unconverted try.

Fifteen minutes gone three tries in the bag the ‘Rick went for the killer bonus point try but poor finishing and a stiffening visitor’s defence kept the Cambuslang line intact.

As the home side lost their focus it was the visitors who were next to score. From a retreating scrummage on the half way line, No8 Bolton tidied up and broke up the Carrick left wing, with the home defence flat footed he fed the ball to his brother who scored an unconverted try.

With ten minutes of the half left it was a nervous home support who wondered if this was an unlikely comeback from Cambuslang but nerves were settled somewhat when Johnson, finally, put one over from close range to give the half time score 18 5.

Finally thirty five minutes after their three try blitz at the start of the first half Carrick managed their fourth bonus point try. The visitors wheeled a home scrummage on their ten metre line, Paton picked up and set free Montgomery into the widening blind side. When Cassells, the visitor’s full back, was committed the Carrick scrum half gave Clark an exquisitely timed pass to give the big winger his second score of the day. Johnson, again, failed to add the extra points.

Cassells was back in the game immediately when he fielded a poor clearance kick and ran thirty metres through a thin blue line of defence before feeding McGuire who flopped over for a converted try.

Although Carrick had most of the territory, little could be said for the rest of the match, poor kicking, defensive errors and disjointed play was the order of the day. The two bright spots were a trade mark side step as he dummied his way for a converted try and his last penalty when he finally found his kicking form to give Carrick a convincing score line of 33 12

Coach Brown was happy enough about the result but a little concerned that Cambuslang should still have been in the game with thirty minutes still left.

Next Saturday Carrick are away to Cumbernauld with a 3pm KO.