Carrick Rugby secure bonus point win at Allan Glens

Carrick RFC continued their fine start to the season with a 35-12 away at Allan Glens on Saturday but Coach Gordon Brown says they will need to play agood deal better if they are to beat fellow title contenders Glasgow Accies this weekend.

The Bearyards at Bishopbriggs, the home of Allan Glens, was at its resplendent best. The pitch, in winter, has been the graveyard for many a visiting team but the green sward was in perfection condition to suit Carrick’s free flowing style of play.

The visitors had all the early play but were denied early scores due to a stuffy defence and their own lack of accuracy in the execution of their play.

As the black cloud arrived and emptied its load the spectators rushed to the small stand resulting in the flight of the roosting pigeons.

Fortunately for Carrick there was no departure of Johnson’s kicking game as he kept the home side pinned in their own twenty two.

Eventually after 15 minutes the pressure told and the Carrick eight drove their opponents scrum the five metres to score. Johnson added the extra points.

Six minutes later Carrick pillage a ball from the home side’s shortened lineout, Smith’s charge was halted, the quick ruck ball, was fed to the backs and Allan Speirs scored in the corner. Again Johnson converted.

As the rain became even more torrential the Carrick play became less and less fluid but Allan Glen’s efforts did not trouble the visitor’s defence either. The half finished at 14-0.

The second half began in dry conditions and Brown was hoping that the once smooth running Carrick engine would be firing in all cylinders. The early play suggested that and in seven minutes after a series of attacks, stoutly defended, Ian Speirs squeezed in at the left hand corner for another converted try.

The home side did threaten sporadically with their half backs McKay and Thomson each having a half break that could have caused a problem but their support play was poor and both attacks were contained.

Carrick’s attacks continued to splutter but in the 65 minute the bonus point try was achieved as finally a passing movement from the backs was finally finished off by Allan Speirs. Johnson’s boots did not fail him.

Clark completed the try count for the visitors when he collected a wayward cross kick, beat the onrushing opposing winger and cruised the thirty metre for a converted try.

In the last three minutes of the game the home side was rewarded for their considerable efforts with two tries. The first scored by Ekevati who appeared to lose control of the ball, regained and slipped through the central defence to score under the post. The second that can only be described as a comedy of errors and a ricochet leaving the hard working Frame to win the race for the touchdown giving a final score of 35-12.

Kick off against Glasgow Accies at Maybole is at 3pm.

And Carrick Rugby continue to go from strength to strength with five Academy teams also turning out on Saturday, with three competing in Helensburgh and two at “home” in Ayr.

The Academy first fifteen had a good away win coming from a 0-17 deficit at half time to win 34-24.The club sides almost reached similar status with their two regular sides almost being doubled to four. A request had been made of Carrick to produce a third fifteen which was achieved and when the fixture fell through the call went out for ex players to provide opposition. In the end the round up only produced 25 players and an abbreviated version of the game was played as a precursor to the 2ndXV game.

The second XV beat the Marr 3rd XV 58-3 to top their reserve league. This was a magnificent result as games in the past between these two teams have always been closely contested and indicates the growing depth of quality.

It would be unfair to disclose the score of the match between the two select sides but I am reliably informed that the Phil Rowney score was the try of the match.