Girvan 1

Maybole 3

super ‘Bole bounced back from last week’s horror show to knock their Carrick neighbours out of the Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup on Saturday with a thoroughly deserved victory.

After losing eight goals at home to Shotts and finishing with only seven men last Saturday, two second-half goals, one a classic example of counter attacking, sealed their place in the next round. Girvan, however, were left with more questions than answers from an extremely poor display.

Stuart Peacock has been carrying a slight knock for a couple of games and Brian McLuckie took the opportunity to give the centre-half a rest and dropped Kevin Biggart back from midfield into a sweeper role behind a three of Lee McCrae, Danny Cunningham and Scott McGilp.

George Wallace also dropped back from his usual forward position to become the holding midfielder, but they were changes that failed to work as Paul Kerr rolled back the years to put in a performance that Girvan couldn’t cope with.

The Seasiders came closest to opening the scoring in the early stages of the match when Aaron Connolly collected a long ball and got his shot away but was deflected wide.

But the deadlock was broken after 24 minutes by a stunning strike from Scott Irvine who drilled the ball into the top right-hand corner from the edge of the penalty area leaving with Keith Ross no chance.

Girvan came close to equalising eight minutes before half-time, but Ian Cashmore’s effort was well stopped by Scott Johnstone in the Maybole goal.

They did draw themselves level, though, just after the interval from the penalty spot. Connolly was brought down inside the area and Biggart made no mistake from 12 yards.

However, Maybole showed their battling qualities and were soon back in front after 55 minutes thanks to Robert Forde’s lovely solo effort.

As McLuckie’s men tried to get themselves back in the game, they found themselves a further goal behind thanks to a swift counter-attacking move. Girvan lost possession in the Maybole half and the combination of Stuart McGrady and John McDonald gifted Irvine a chance from 12 yards.

Victory was no more than Maybole deserved, which Girvan chairman Tam McCreadie admitted afterwards. He said: “We were an absolute shambles, but take nothing away from Maybole. They played very well and deserved to go through. We’re disappointed to be knocked out of a cup competition as you always want to do well in them. But now we’ll just concentrate on the league and hopefully winning promotion.”