Dead and buried in ten minute spell

Glenafton Athletic 3

Girvan 1

A CALAMITOUS ten minutes in the second-half condemned Girvan to another defeat at New Cumnock on Saturday.

The Seasiders now sit second-bottom in division one after a strong second-half showing from the Glens saw them take all three points. Girvan had hoped to kick start their season on Saturday after their Scottish Cup exit but, despite some positive displays, particularly in the first-half, Brian McLuckie’s men left with nothing.

Despite the horrible conditions, both sides offered up some decent flowing attacking football. The Seasiders began brightly but the home side were the first create a clear-cut scoring chance.

Former Girvan forward Iain Cashmore, playing with a point to prove, sent in a cross that was only partially cleared by Alan Love. Craig Potter was quickest to react to the loose ball, but was denied by an excellent stop by Darren Johnson. Three minutes later, the visitors moved the ball from box to box with a slick passing move that saw the impressive Neil Gilmour pick out Sean McKenna, who then rolled the ball into the path of Lee McCrae and the midfielder’s fierce shot from the corner of the penalty box whizzed over Ally Semple’s bar.

Girvan continued to create openings and could have opened the scoring if not for poor finishing from Sean McKenna and Lee McCrae.

The best chance of the half came moments before the interval when McKenna looked to have headed home from Love’s corner, but Craig Menzies remained on the goal-line to head clear.

The rain got heavier during half time with the surface increasingly more difficult to play on.

But it was the home who were coping better and they buried Girvan with a three-goal burst. They opened the scoring shortly before the hour mark when Paul Murphy and Gareth Armstrong combined for Armstrong to fire home past Johnson from close range.

Then, just two minutes later, their lead was doubled, this time Armstong laying it on a plate for Murphy to finish. Another ball to the back post allowed Armstrong to beat Johnson to the ball and Paul Murphy headed home from four yards. Then, at the end of a whirlwind ten minutes, the home side made it three on 67 minutes and complete Girvan’s misery.

A free-kick 35 yards out was played into the box where substitute Gareth Campbell, with his back to goal, rose to beat McQuade and send the ball skywards and looping over Johnson at full stretch.

Alan Love grabbed a late consolation when weaved his way through a busy penalty box and played a clever one-two with Stuart Wilson before guiding the ball home from close range.

But, in reality, of course, it was no consolation whatsoever.

Girvan: Johnson, McGilp, McQuade, Faulds, Peacock, Faulds, Gilmour, Love, Bradford, McKenna, McCrae. Subs: Harvey, Holms, Rutherford, Smith, Wilson, Patterson.