Share this article

Drumley United 1

Vale of Girvan 6

Vale Of Girvan travelled to Mossblown last Saturday and ripped league leaders Drumley United apart in front of a large, hostile crowd.

Noisy crowds only tend to lift the spirits of this tough Vale side and they stamped their authority all over the park from the start and raced into a four-goal lead within 20 minutes, effectively ending the game as a contest there and then.

David McVittie crossed a fine ball into the box after only three minutes, and Liam Wright got on the end of it to head Girvan into the lead.

Girvan constantly pressed forward, playing some great football, which led to Nathan Smith firing home to put the Vale two up 2-0 up after eight minutes. Drumley tried to fight their way back into the game with some fine play from Andy O’Connor and James Holland causing the Vale defence a few problems.

But Stevie O’Donnell stood tall, winning every ball that Drumley tried to play forward. 

And then some good work once more from Vale’s Malky Fletcher up the left sent John McMillan through to place a great ball to Richard Ashworh, who slotted home to put the Vale three and easy after only 11 minutes.

The home crowd were still creating a hostile atmosphere, and their mood worsened after 15 minutes when a good ball by Alan Hyslop put Davie Bryce through and he supplied Smith, who struck his second and Vale’s fourth. 

At four goals up, Vale could perhaps be forgiven for taking their foot of the pedal, allowing Drumley to press forward and deliver some good balls into the box, but O’Donnell was still winning everything that Drumley threw at him.  

Vale started the second half brightly once more, and a good pass from Frazer Reid put young Bryce through and, although he shot wide, it was a decent effort.

 Another fine ball from John McMillan put Richard Ashworth through but his first-time effort came back off the woodwork. Vale looked to be strolling through the game until the Drumley striker broke free, forcing McVittie to bring down Andy O’Connor inside the box to concede a penalty. O’Connor dusted himself down to send McNeilly the wrong way to score.

Any hopes of an unlikely comeback were dashed, however, when Vale went 5-1 up after some fine work by Bryce.

Manager Gordon McIlwraith had the luxury at that point to make some changes and Bryce and Wright went off to be replaced by Steven Brown and Alec Wason with ten minutes left, still time for McVittie to slot home at the back post to make it six.

After the match, McIlwraith said: “This was probably the best football played in a long time by the Vale.

“I am absolutely delighted that man of the match O’Donnell is staying at Vale Of Girvan, despite all the rumours this week that he was going back to Girvan FC.”

Vale of Girvan are away to Doon AFC next week. This week’s lucky numbers was won by Malky Fletcher.

Team: McNeilly, A Hyslop, Fletcher, Reid, O’Donnell, Bryce, McMillan, Smith, McVittie, Ashworth, Wright. Subs: Hyslop (55) Wason (80) Brown (80) Galloway (unused).