Share this article

Kilwinning Rangers 3 Girvan FC 1

girvan blew their chance to move to the top of the First Division on Saturday after crashing to former gaffer Billy Thomson’s Buffs.

After seeing his side dismantled at Hamilton Park earlier in the season, Thomson got his revenge on his former club with a comfortable win at Abbey Park.

This was perhaps Girvan’s worst performance for a long time and they struggled to get a foot in the game.

The home side took the lead after 17 minutes when former Girvan defender Michael Holden toe-poked a loose ball from yards out after the Seasiders failed to clear their lines from a corner.

McLuckie’s men felt they should have had a penalty midway through the first half when George Wallace was clipped on the ankle inside the area, but the referee was having none of and booked the Girvan striker for diving.

The decision by the man in the middle stunned the crowd at that end of the park, who were certain that it should have been a penalty.

That was as good as it got for the Seasiders in the first half, and the second half didn’t started off well, either, when they fell further behind eight minutes after the restart.

Again, some poor defending proved costly as Mark Ferris was left unmarked to head home from close range.

Girvan battled in vain to get back into the game, but their play in the final-third lacked any real quality to break down a comfortable Buffs defence.

They did pull one back with nine minutes remaining when Stuart Peacock headed home Aaron Connolly’s corner.

But, with Girvan pushing for the equaliser, Kilwinning hit them on a quick break and Michael Fulton burst through on goal and rounded the outrushing Stuart Leavy to leave him with a simple finish to secure the points for Thomson’s men.

Girvan chairman Tam McCreadie admitted it was the worst he had seen the side play for some time, but was hoping they would bounce back quickly.

He said: “It was a bad day at the office on Saturday, but we were very lucky that other results went our way – especially Hurlford beating Clydebank.

“We’ve got another chance to go top of the league on Saturday at home to Ashfield, so we’ll be hoping for a much better result.”

The club are thought to be looking at bolstering their squad with another striker, thought to be Iain Cashmore at Cumnock.

There are a few tickets remaining for the club’s Sportsman’s Dinner later this month on Saturday, February 26. Guest speaker will be former Grade One referee Willie Young.

The event will be held in the Catholic Hall from 6.30pm. Tickets cost £25 and the limited amount remaining can be purchased by contacting Tam on 01465 714 781 or club secretary Ronnie Hutcheson on 01465 714 780.