League leaders hit top form

Craig Harvey leads an attack against Kilwinning.
Craig Harvey leads an attack against Kilwinning.

GIRVAN are perhaps not ready to step up a league this year but will be looking to go on a push for promotion next year after a game of two halves against league leaders Kilwinning.

Runaway leaders Kilwinning were two down after a tremendous start to the game for Girvan, but pulled out a strong second half performance to leave Hamilton Park with a 4-2 victory.

Girvan had a good chance in the eighth minute when David McVittie forced the Kilwinning goalkeeper to make a smart save.

But the Seasiders were ahead in the 22nd minute when McVittie hit a rasping shot from 20 yards out which the Kilwinning keeper fumbled into the air. The ball then looped over the hapless number one before settling into the net.

In the 24th minute Craig Harvey should have done better when he only had the keeper to beat, but the ball ran away from him as the keeper dived at his feet.

In the 26th minute it was 2-0 for Girvan when Tommy Maitland met a cross from the right and looped his header of the keeper.

Girvan, playing in a silver strip for this match, had the better of the first half but Kilwinning capitalised when the referee blew for a penalty when Tommy Maitland was judged to have brought a player down in the box. It looked like the Kilwinning player had turned and ran into the Girvan man but former Girvan player Ian Cashmore made no mistake from the spot.

But as happened in the match earlier this season between these two teams, Kilwinning stepped up their game in the second half and in the 54th minute were on level terms and could ahve scored again three minutes later before going 3-2 up in the 75th minute.

Again it was a former Girvan player, this time Kris Mitchell, who scored with a header.

Girvan had their own penalty claim in the 80th minute when Harvey went down in the box, but, as has happened to often to Girvan this season, the kick was not given, and the chance to bring the game back to 3-3 was gone. That decision became academic as in the 88th minute Kilwinning were awarded another penalty as Joe Maxwell was adjudged to have brought down a Kilwinning forward in the box and from the resulting penalty Rangers scored.

The result leaves Girvan in sixth place in the league with 21 points and with possibly only two teams going up it looks a hard task for Girvan with only seven games remaining. Kilwinning lead on 46pts with Troon second on 31pts.

Girvan play Darvel away from home next week in another league match.