Clydebank 2

Girvan 0

Girvan have now gone three games without a win after slumping to a disappointing defeat against promotion rivals Clydebank last Saturday.

After what was a poor game, Brian McLuckie’s men lost vital ground on the Bankies, who move to the top of the league, and now will have to make the most of their games in hand.

New signing Iain Cashmore was included in the starting line up and played about an hour of the match, showing signs that he will be a more than useful addition to the squad.

However, it was Neil Gilmour who was closest to opening the scoring after 25 minutes. A George Wallace cross was deflected into Gilmour’s path, but his shot was well stopped by Clydebank keeper Stefan Gonet.

Tony Murphy had to head a Bankies goal-bound effort off the line, and that was the home side’s only highlight of a particularly dire first half.

The pitch had passed an early-morning pitch inspection and the conditions were certainly causing problems for both sets of players.

After the break, the home side came out with far more purpose and Stuart Leavy pulled off his first of many good second-half stops.

But he was he beaten on 51 minutes when David Martin diverted a Darren McKinnon drive into the goal. The Seasiders battled away to find an equaliser and Gonet made a comfortable stop from Craig Connell’s free kick.

Young Craig Harvey, whose pace and direct running has proved a handful for most defences this season, was introduced and, once again, he created havoc. With ten minutes to go, he collected the ball outside the area and burst inside, his shot was blocked into the path of Steven Shankland, but he could only shoot wide of the target.

And with Girvan pushing for a last-minute equaliser they were hit on the counter. Connell was caught in possession and McKinnon was slipped through on goal and he slotted past the out-rushing Leavy to seal the points for the home side.

A disappointing defeat for McLuckie’s men, who are once again looking to strengthen their side in time for the vital run-in.

Former Talbot, Kilwinning and current Beith man, Derek McCulloch, has been identified as a potential target, the Gazette understands, along with his teammate goalkeeper Keith Ross. Ross has represented Scotland at junior level and The Seasiders are hoping of finalising a deal for both men.

Elsewhere, the club have a few remaining tickets left for their Sportsmen’s Dinner this Saturday night, with guest speaker Willie Young. Anyone wishing to attend should contact Ronnie Hutcheson on 01465 714 780 or Tam McCreadie on 01465 714 681 for further information.