Girvan are in seventh heaven in Junior Cup

Girvan FC produced a stunning second half display to beat Cambuslang Rangers 7-1 at Hamilton Park on Saturday and march into the third of the Scottish Junior Cup.

An even first half saw Girvan go into the dressing room 2-1 ahead, but a change of shape by boss Peter Leonard ensured five goals in the second half which blew away their opponents.

Leonard said: “We were missing a couple of bodies to begin with so I changed the shape at half time even though we were leading.

“Stevie Douglas has made 4 cracking saves to ensure we went in ahead.

“The change meant we had a lot more width in the team and gave us the chance to spread it around which caught Cambuslang by surprise after the break.

“Tony Murphy scored a terrific third goal and to have Paul Cameron to come on full of energy and score two was great.”

In a fast start to the game, it was Girvan goalie Steve Douglas who was first called into action punching away a Chris Faulds shot before Girvan’s Craig Reid tested opposing keeper Daryl Jones.

A real moment of quality from Girvan’s Scott Dinwoodie opened the scoring on 17 minutes when he curled home from 25 yards after collecting a pass from Reid.

Cambuslang fought back strongly with a shot from Ryan McBeth rattling the crossbar on 27 minutes before a superb save from Douglas kept his side in front a minute later.

Girvan hit Cambuslang with a sucker punch on 29 minutes with Chris Allan beating the offside trap and beating Jones to make it 2-0.

However, the visitors were back in it on 31 minutes when Girvan couldn’t clear the ball and the ball broke to winger Kieran Chalmers who beat Douglas.

Douglas ensured the scoreline stayed in Girvan’s favour as he turned away a McBeth shot before Cambuslang supporters were outraged at being denied a penalty on the interval.

Douglas made a save but as he dived for the ball after fumbling, Cambuslang’s Jonathan McStay was booked for diving in the box.

Leonard’s change at half time saw him bring on Michael Mossie for Greg Wylde and switch to a back four, allowing more width in the team.

A third goal came on 51 minutes when Allan and David Cunningham combined to set up Murphy who sent a delightful chip over Jones.

On the hour mark Girvan sealed the tie when Murphy set up Cunningham to score the fourth.

Super sub Cameron ensured it was five when he fired home a Reid cross, before Reid was the provider again for Cunningham who’s first shot hit the bar, but the rebound landed perefectly for him to make it six.

The scoring was complete on 88 minutes when Cameron rounded the keeper and slotted home from the angle.

Girvan face a tough test away to Whitletts on Saturday in the league at Dam Park, with Whitletts beating East Premier League Side Broxburn in the junior cup on Saturday.

“There’s four sides (Ourselves, Irvine Vics, Darvel and Whitletts) challenging for the league and we’ve already beaten Darvel 4-0 which was a great result.

“Whitletts are unbeaten so far this season and unbeaten at home for almost a year so it will be a tough test but we’re confident of getting something from the game.”

The draw for the 3rd round of the Junior Cup will be made on Tuesday November 3.