Girvan FC enjoy derby win over rivals Maybole to remain top

Ten-man Girvan beat Maybole 4-1 on Saturday at Hamilton Park to maintain their perfect start to the season.

Iain Kearney’s side came from behind to record their third straight victory in the Ardagh Glass League Cup which keeps them top of the table.

It was clear from the start that this would be a hard fought derby, with strong tackling in midfield stifling any attempt at fast flowing football. The first clear cut chance came from a deflection after fourteen minutes when Craig Harvey’s cross clipped a Maybole defender and hit the top of the crossbar.

Eight minutes later Marc Dyer charged down an attempted clearance from the ‘Bole keeper only to see the ball roll inches past the post.

Tommy Maitland was booked for a high boot on the edge of the Girvan box. Scott Dinwoodie fired the resulting free kick around the wall but David Markey made a save.

On twenty seven minutes a Maybole corner was allowed to bounce in the box and Stephen Cargill was first to react, heading the ball into the net.

The ‘Bole’s lead was to be short lived, as Darren Mitchell rose above Cargill to flick an Alan Orr cross over Johnstone to draw Girvan level.

Just before half time Mitchell almost gave Girvan the lead, turning another Orr cross against the post from 15 yards.

Three minutes after the restart Orr turned provider again, slotting a pin point pass through the defence for Craig Harvey to fire over the keeper from 15 yards.

Marc Dyer’s audacious thirty yard chip landed just over the bar after Jordan Ryan charged down a Johnstone clearance.

The introduction of Christopher Allan on Maybole’s left flank added creativity which had been largely lacking during the first half. Allan and Dinwoodie both had long range shots saved by Markey, but most of their chances were coming from outside the box.

The game looked set to change when Colin Webb was sent off for a second yellow just before the hour. With only ten fit players to start the game, Maybole were expected to capitalise on their numerical advantage but it wasn’t to be.

Ten minutes later Mark Doolan’s free kick was knocked on by Mitchell and Dyer took two touches at before slotting home to extend the lead.

Things got worse for Maybole six minutes later Craig Harvey raced onto a Mitchell pass and chipped the onrushing keeper to make it four one.

As both teams tired the foul count increased, allowing Dinwoodie two free kicks around the box, both going narrowly over. He came close again with a thirty yard volley hitting the bar with Markey beaten.

The last chance of the match came to Alan Orr, who beat three players on the left wing before shooting narrowly past the far post.

Girvan: Markey, Doolan, Orr, Webb, Shearer, Maitland, Harvey, McMahon, Mitchell, Dyer, Ryan. Subs: Cunningham, McMillan

Maybole: Johnstone, McKissock, Whittaker, Cargill, McGrady, Dinwoodie, Murphy, Love, NIsbett, D Cunningham, Dempster. Subs: Forde, Allan, Marshall, S Cunningham.