Girvan FC pick up first point of the season

Share this article

Girvan produced their best performance of the season to draw 1-1 with Saltcoats at Hamilton Park on Saturday.

Girvan had gone into the game on the back of nine straight defeats in the Ayrshire District League and an unenviable 17 defeats in all competitions this season.

However, a spirited performance earned Girvan a point against a Saltcoats side who had Derek Fyre in charge for the first time.

Saltcoats forced a few corners early on but each one was dealt with easily by Girvan before McVittie went close with a shot from the edge of the area.

Colin Robertson pulled off a good save in the Girvan goal to deny Chris Black on 20 minutes before Connor Gracie forced a good save from Lundy in the Saltcoats goal. Girvan’s next attack should have seen them in the lead but McVittie’s shot went the wrong side of the post.

In the week when Scottish football paid tribute to the great commentator Arthur Montford, Saltcoats took the lead with a ‘stramash’ Montford would have been proud of. Four shots were blocked but not properly cleared by the Girvan defence before Sean Quinn knocked the ball home to give the visitors the lead on 33 minutes.

Girvan fought back quickly though and levelled on 37 minutes after Gordon Roberts robbed Saltcoats Mark Ferris in midfield and he played a great ball into Jamie McAvoy who showed composure to make it 1-1. And McAvoy was on the attack again early in the second half testing Lundy at his near post on 50 minutes before Ferris tested Robertson in the Girvan goal.

Controversy hit the game on 70 minutes when referee David Ingram booked Saltcoats James Moan for diving and waved away shouts for a penalty.

Girvan ended the game on the front foot and McVittie’s shot in the final minute was tipped onto the bar to deny them all three points.

Girvan will look to build on the result when they go to Kello on Saturday at 1.45pm. The winner of the 50/50 draw was Stuart McCreadie who won £60.