Girvan left trailing

Girvan 2

Kilsyth Rangers 4

IT’S turning out to be a frustrating season for Girvan as they struggle with a worryingly inconsistent spell.

Spirits were high after last week’s convincing win over promotion-chasing Glenafton Athletic, but they were brought back down to earth with a bang on Saturday as a young and quick Kilsyth Rangers blitzed their way to victory.

The visiting side were, at times, too hot to handle for Girvan who struggled to cope with their fast attacking style.

Their fearless play saw them never afraid to commit men forward and would swamp The Seasiders in their own half.

Kilsyth were in control of this game almost from the first minute of the match.

Steven McPeake almost played Joe Barclay in on goal but Stuart Peacock managed to clear the danger.

The visiting trio of David Waters, Darren Dalrymple and Kenny McLellan combined in a fine passing move that saw McLellan shooting just over from the edge of the Girvan box.

The home side rarely threatened in the first half and it was Kilsyth who deservedly took the lead after 30 minutes.

A Frannie Kelly corner was flicked on at the front post by Paul Doyle and Barclay applied the finishing touch with his head.

And Barclay almost doubled the lead a few minutes later but he couldn’t beat goalkeeper Darren Johnson when through on goal.

Kilsyth did double their advantage with five minutes of the half remaining, though.

Dalrymple cut the ball back to Stephen McClung inside the area and his miss-hit shot managed to elude Johnson’s outstretched hand and find the corner of the net.

As half-time approached Kilsyth had a shout for a penalty when the ball seemed to strike Peacock’s arm, but the ball dropped to Dalrymple about 12 yards out and he smashed the ball home to put his side three ahead and on what looked like easy street before the interval.

But the Seasiders came out far more determined in the second half, started well and got themselves back into the game.

After three minutes, Kevin Biggart picked out Alan Love unmarked in the box and the Northern Irishman fired home.

As Girvan pressed they were almost caught out on the counter attack, but Peacock cleared McClung’s shot off the line.

Girvan were certainly making more of a contest of it in the second half, and Sean McKenna came close when his rasping drive was turned over by the finger tips of Michael Duke in the Kilsyth goal.

John Bradford really should have cut the deficit but his free header was delivered straight to Duke.

And just 60 seconds later, Girvan were made to pay for that lapse when the visitors wrapped up the three points with goal number four.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining, McClung fired a cross into the Girvan six yard box and Barclay met it on the slide to fire home his second of the afternoon.

McKenna again tested Duke with a 20-yard free kick which looked netbound, but the big keeper got down well to his left to turn it round the post as Girvan tried in vain to get back into the game. However, they were given a chance to make the scoreline look more respectable when they were awarded a penalty after Neal Gilmour was brought down inside the area.

Kevin Biggart sent Duke the wrong way to reduce the gap to two but it was really a case of too little too late.

Club chairman Tam McCreadie felt the scoreline was a little unfair and suggested that the game was much tighter than it looked.

He said: “If we had taken our chance to make it 2-3, then things might have been different.

“Instead we miss a good chance and they go straight up the park and score to make 1-4.

“We didn’t play as well as last week, but credit to Kilsyth, they are a good young team.

“They hit you quick on the break and will flood men forward.”

Girvan travel to Rutherglen to face Glencairn on Saturday in a basement battle.