Girvan management duo resign from club

GIRVAN have found themselves again without a manager as the duo of Davie Brown and Stewart Maxwell have resigned.

The pair joined the club at the start of the season and now ex-gaffer Billy Thomson has taken over the reins at the club for the remaining four games this term.

But he found that his first game in charge reflected what has happened throughout the season as Girvan conceded late goals and a late penalty won the match for Lugar Boswell in a 3-2 defeat away from home.

Girvan chairman Tam McCreadie said that he thought a draw would have been a fair result on Saturday as Girvan had performed well in the first half but late goals had cost them dear.

Girvan had started well with Danny Cunningham forcing a save from the Lugar keeper and Craig Harvey missing a golden opportunity in the 11th minute when it looked easier to score. Harvey came close again five minutes later but was denied with a fine save.

But Lugar took the lead in the 23rd minute when Girvan keeper Nisbet dived at an attackers feet only for the ball to balloon up into the air and land at the feet of a Lugar forward who only had to tap the ball into the net.

But five minutes later it was 1-1 when Craig Harvey bravely latched no nto a long ball over the top and headed past the keeper.

In the 39th minute Girvan took the lead when Tommy Maitland turned the ball into the net after a Darren Mitchell shot had been parried away by the keeper.

Girvan had a couple of good chances to wrap the game up in the second half with the best falling to Harvey who charged through the Lugar half, beating two players only to see his shot go over the bar as the keeper advanced. Girvan were left rueing their chances when Lugar drew level in the 86th minute when an unmarked player slotted home at the far post.

Then in the 90th minute centre back Stevenson was shoulder to shoulder with a Lugar attacker when the Lugar player went down and the referee awarded a penalty.

Tam McCreadie said: “It was a wee bit of a soft penalty award. it was disappointing as I thought we were the better side in the first half.”

Girvan will now take their time in appointing a new manager and will hope the new man will be in place to start training for the new campaign in July this year.

An advert for the post is on the club’s website and they have already had some interest.

Girvan’s next match is away to Annbank on March 16.