Girvan secure third win in a row

EQUALISER: John McMillan grabbed the third goal for Girvan when they took on Darvel on Saturday.
EQUALISER: John McMillan grabbed the third goal for Girvan when they took on Darvel on Saturday.

Girvan FC 5, 
Darvel 3

AFTER playing the only match not rained off on the west coast last week – and recording their most successful win of the season at 8-0 – Girvan were one of the few teams whose fixture stood when they faced Darvel on home turf on Saturday.

The opposition took the lead in the 13th minute despite an early chance potentially having breached the offside rule, but Girvan played on and keeper Jarrid Nisbet came out to block Darvel’s shot, which made it just into the net.

In the 23rd minute, Darvel had another chance to score, but this time they weren’t so lucky. The ball was played down the left and their winger came in from the touchline. He had a shot but it hit the side netting.

In the 34th minute teamwork from Craig Harvey and David Strachan got Girvan their first goal. Harvey went down the right hand side and fired a low shot across the goal, where Strachan directed the ball into the net.

It wasn’t long before Girvan got an opportunity to take the lead as Harvey was played in in the 41st minute. He made for the goal and had a shot from the 18-yard box, but his effort went past the post.

In the 45th minute Girvan keeper Nisbet prevented Darvel from scoring their second as he stood up to a shot from six yards out, making a point blank save.

Injury time saw Darvel make it 2-1, however, when in the 46th minute a Girvan corner was cleared and one of their forwards ran the length of the pitch before scoring from the break.

After 50 minutes, and with the second half well under way, Girvan succeeded in equalising with a Harvey goal from about eight yards out after Lewis Gardiner delivered to the byline and levelling the score at 2-2.

But determined Darvel soon regained their lead as, having won the ball just outside the penalty box, they took it up the park and scored their third.

Not down for long, Girvan came back as trialist Eaglesham was introduced and, getting the ball to the byline, set up a John McMillan goal – making it 3-3.

Before long Girvan had extended their lead with Harvey beating a defender inside the box and firing a low shot past the keeper to make his second goal of the match in the 75th minute.

Finally, in the 88th minute, Michael Wilson played the ball over the top, allowing Eaglesham to take advantage and fire a shot past Darvel’s keeper to secure a fifth goal and another three points for the home side.

This weekend, weather permitting, Girvan are away to Annbank United. Kick-off is at 1.45pm.