Girvan show pace to move up to fifth in league

Girvan beat Yoker 3-1 on Saturday.
Girvan beat Yoker 3-1 on Saturday.

Girvan secured another well deserved three points against Yoker on Saturday but had to come from behind to win.

Two enforced changes were made from last week’s side as in came Michael Mossie and Mark Cameron.

Girvan started brightly and only three minutes in a Craig Reid cross was met by Jack McDowall but his header went just wide. Two minutes later the home side went behind when Arbuckle was fouled by Scott Dinwoodie and from 22 yards the Yoker winger curled his wind assisted shot into the top corner.

Back came Girvan and they should have equalised after eight minutes, the Yoker keeper saved three times from Davie Cunningham in the box before the fourth attempt by Jack McDowall went wide.

Next up was a Michael Reilly with a header from a Craig Reid throw in but the keeper got down to his left to make the save. In the 20th Minute a cross fell to Davie Jardine in the box but he hit his shot into the ground and the ball went wide of the keepers left hand post.

However the equaliser finally came along in the 31st minute when the ball was cleared by Yoker and fell to Stevie McCreadie just inside the Yoker half. He played a wonderful pass to the unmarked Davie Cunningham at the edge of the box and he finished well from 12 yards.

A good passing move two minutes later resulted in a Scott Dinwoodie shot from 30 yards going wide. So in at half time level but Girvan had the momentum.

The second half started brightly when Davie Cunningham made a great run down the right wing and his wonderful cross was headed just over by Michael Reilly from 6 yards out.

Arbuckle was getting more frustrated as he was getting no change out of the Girvan defence and was booked for dissent.

David Cunningham was giving the Yoker defence a torrid time and in the 51st minute beat two defenders before making the keeper save low down.

Next up was Davie Jardine when his close range shot was saved buy the keeper. Then from a cross by Michael Reilly, Davie Jardine fired a half volley wide from 8 yards

The Girvan coaching team rang the changes in the 63rd minute with Robert Paterson and Tony Murphy replacing Michael Reilly and Mark Cameron.

A Yoker defender was booked for a foul on Davie Jardine just outside of the box.From the resultant free kick Davie hit the ball into the wall. In the 67th minute Jack McDowall was decked in the box but the resultant penalty by Robert Paterson was saved by the Yoker keeper.

However it didn’t take Robert Paterson long to make up for his penalty miss. Scott Dinwoodie won a 50/50 challenge in the centre circle and passed the ball to Robert 15 yards inside the Yoker half, the defenders couldn’t catch him as he drew the keeper before sliding the ball into the net from the edge of the box

Four minutes later it was all over as a contest when this time the keeper brought down Davie Cunningham in the box and Stevie McCreadie took on the penalty kick duties and despatched the ball into the net for his first of the season.

John Frame came on for Davie Jardine as Girvan looked to close out the game in the final minutes. Scott Dinwoodie put in a wonderful challenge to retrieve the ball as Yoker broke up the park for one of their rare visits into Girvan territory in the second half.

In the 87th minute a wonderful acrobatic effort from Robert Paterson went just wide, before Jack McDowall had the last effort of the game as his shot went wide.

A good performance from the team with Stevie McCreadie putting in a man of the match performance along with his fellow defenders. Robert Paterson lit up the game with his aggression and pace in the later stages and has given the management team a nice headache for next week.

This Saturday Girvan FC have a Special Offer of up to 2 FREE Kids of Primary School age for Every Full paying Adult for £6.00 for the visit of Maryhill FC on Saturday, November 12.

All you have to do is print off the ticket on their facebook page and show it at the game.