Good win for reshuffled Girvan

After last week’s bitterly disappointing 4-3 cup semi final loss to Stewarton Girvan travelled up to Ayr to take on Scottish Cup semi finalists Craigie Utd who themselves have had a fantastic season so far and are still pushing for the league.

Girvan, with three boys missing through exam time, reshuffled the squad again and still managed to muster up a very strong team.

The first half could have went either way with two very good teams competing to take control of the game and Girvan just edged the 1st half creating a few chances but the half ended 0-0.

The second half was a different story with Girvan totally dominating. Dorans, on fine form, was causing all sorts of problems for the defence squared for Gracie who tapped the first goal home.

Craigie equalised on a rare attack after a mix up in Girvans defence allowed Murphy in to score.

Girvan’s next goal was a cracker. Storrie, who was a constant threat down the left side, left the fullback for dead before delivering an inch perfect cross which McCulloch nodded home.

Girvan’s midfield of Hamilton, McAvoy & Allison totally dominated now and were spraying pass after pass for the Girvan forwards to get on to and Hamilton played in Dorans who used his electric pace to skip past the Craigie defence and square for Storrie who slotted home.

Craigie tried to mount a comeback but anything they tried was dealt with by Girvans rock solid defence of J Smith, McCulloch, Boon and Kelly which gave Gillespie in goal a very quiet night.

Allison was next to play in the lively Dorans who again skipped past the defence before rifling home to the delight of the Girvan bench.

Mcavoy, at the heart of Girvan’s midfield, had to get a say in this match and did it the perfect way with a 30 yard screamer into the top corner.

Girvan brought on Barrett, Taylor and T Smith and reshuffled the pack again and were still a solid unit with the industrial Hamilton pulling the strings in the midfield playing in Dorans whose pace again ripped Craigie apart and rounded the keeper to leave Girvan 6-1 winners which was received with a tremendous roar from the crowd.

Man of the match who came of the park black & blue was Mark Allison who broke up any play Craigie tried in the midfield.

Sunday saw KSC Town visit Girvan for what was billed to be a cracker with both teams flying high in the league.

The first half was an evenly contested match with both teams trying to take control with no one getting the upper hand but with seconds to spare in the first half KSC were awarded a free kick about 30 yards out and there centre half hit an unstoppable shot which left Gillespie with no chance.

In the second half Girvan pressed for the equaliser and had the ball in the net only for in to be chalked off.

Girvan then hit the post with the goal gaping and had another couple of chances but unfortunately it wasn’t to be and the game finished 0-1 to KSC Town.

Man of the match was Jack Smith.