It’s another Carrick cracker

Action from Carrick's win on Saturday.
Action from Carrick's win on Saturday.

Strathendrick were last week’s visitors to Maybole and the men from Fintry were still sampling the warm Ayrshire sunshine when within a minute they were seven points down.

A poor clearance kick was fielded by full back Wyllie who attacked from deep down the left wing, stepped inside the covering defence and fed centre Knight who scored under the posts.

The visitors were clearly in holiday mode. Penalised at the breakdown just outside the Carrick twenty two they relaxed. Wyllie quickly took the penalty, passed to Clark who strode down the left wing leaving despairing defenders in his wake to give the home side a 12 point advantage within five minutes of the start.

Untidy lineout possession allowed Strathendrick a glimmer of hope. A poor tap back could not be tidied by scrum half Ward, the ball bounced awkwardly, the onrushing visitor’s forwards gathered and scored an unconverted try in Carrick’s right hand corner.

Carrick’s response was immediate. Stephen Logan won the kick off, the ‘Rick forwards drove infield, the attack was switched to the blind side where right winger Alexander rounded his man and sprinted the forty metres to the line. Thirteen minutes gone 19 to 5 points up, three tries in the locker the home support relaxed and waited for the bonus point try.

Carrick’s well oiled scoring machine depends on fast ball delivery from the forwards allied with good angled running from the midfield players and the finishing pace of the back three.

For long periods of the first half that simple game plan was forgotten as the home side stumbled to score two more tries. Knight’s second and bonus point try came from a lineout catch and drive followed by his scything run from a delayed Johnson pass.

The final act of the half was a Gary Thomson try. Johnson converted both to give Carrick a comfortable 33 to 5 half time lead.

The second half started as the first and those last in the queue for the half time pies missed the quick tap penalty from Logan who then sprinted away to score.

In the fiftieth minute Knight capped a great display with his third try after he supported a Thomson break.

With 25 minutes to go and forty points down it was going to be a long, difficult and hot afternoon for Strathendrick as Carrick cranked up the pace. Five more tries were conceded.

Dewar finally getting one after he had been over the line twice in the first half but having problems with the touchline and dead ball line. Raby, Wyllie, Smith all got one apiece with Festorazzi adding a little cream at the end to give a 78 to 5 final score.

With the second XV winning 48 to 31 at Hughenden in a rearranged friendly it was a satisfactory day for Carrick RFC.

Cumbernauld are the visitors next Saturday with a 3 pm KO. It is the first round of the Shield.