Maybole crash to Greenock home defeat

Share this article

Maybole Juniors slipped to third in the Super League first division after a disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to Greenock on Saturday.

Greenock started the game brightly but it was Maybole who soon took control with a Davie Cunningham cross on eight minutes being headed wide by Kenny Parris before Mark Doolan tried his luck from 25 yards.

Greenock‘s first clear cut chance came on 24 minutes when Brown shot wide of the goal. Maybole had the ball in the net a minute later but Stuart McGrady was flagged offside after finishing neatly.

The visitors took the lead on 36 minutes when errors from Maybole cost them a goal. First Kenny Parris’ square pass 30 yards from goal was won back before Davie Cunningham’s square pass when he broke upfield was intercepted. A ball was floated to the far post and the cut back found the midfield runner for Greenock who slotted home.

Maybole fought back well before half time with Andy Stevenson having a one-on-one effort saved before McGrady headed over a Cunningham cross.

McGrady went off at half-time with an injury to be replaced by Scott Dinwoodie.

Greenock slowed the game down at the start of the second half and from a throw-in, Patterson’s clearance only found the Greenock left back. His cross into the box found their winger who hit the back of the net.

Back came Maybole though and with Dinwoodie bursting into the box, he lobbed the keeper only to see it hit the bar. Luckily Patterson headed in for 2-1.

The momentum was with the home side and Dinwoodie had a shot saved from the edge of the box before Doolan had a shot pushed wide by the keeper at the back post.

However, their good work was undone when keeper Scott Johnstone’s clearance from the right side of his 18 yard box fell to a Greenock player and he scored into an empty net from 30 yards.

Maybole will hope to bounce back on Saturday when they tackle Ashfield in the first round of the West of Scotland Cup at Ladywell Stadium,