Maybole stroll past Ashfield

Maybole moved into the second round of the West of Scotland Cup with a comfortable 5-1 win over Ashfield at Ladywell Stadium.

Several changes were made to the starting line up including a first appearance for Mark Armour who joined on loan from Auchinleck Talbot earlier in the week.

And Armour had an instant impact on his debut as the home side took the lead after just five minutes.

A ball from Robert Patterson found Armour in the right hand corner and he delivered a great cross to the back post for Chris Allan who volleyed home for the first of his hat-trick.

Scott Dinwoodie doubled Maybole’s lead on 14 minutes with a stunning left foot strike from all of 35 yards after he latched onto a kick out from Scott Johnstone.

It was 3-0 on 35 minutes though when Forde’s ball found Allan and he slotted home from the edge of the box.

The tie was over three minutes later when Allan’s shot was saved by the keeper only to rebound into the path of Patterson who made no mistake from close range. Ashfield did get a goal back before half-time when their captain turned at the edge of the box and fired into the net.

Maybole continued their dominance in the second half. Chris Allan then completed his hat-trick on 53 minutes to make it 5-1.

Ashfield’s number four was sent off for losing the plot as he kicked out at Allan and headbutted Dinwoodie before Allan came close to adding a fourth but his effort hit the post. The visitors had a second man sent off on the hour mark as Mark Armour was upended by a two footed challenge.

Maybole had a host of chances to extend their lead against the nine men but Dinwoodie blazed over the bar on 64 minutes and on 71 minutes substitute Andy Stevenson dragged his shot wide. And on 75 minutes a third red card was shown to Ashfield, this time to their number five for a bad challenge on Allan. Maybole march on to the next round.

Next up for Peter Leonard’s side is a tough away trip to Penicuik on Saturday in their Scottish Junior Cup tie.