Only four matches survive winter storms

Galloway Gazette football correspondent John McNaught looks back at the action from last weekend’s ties.

Results from Friday 9th January, 2015

Saturday 10th January'Newton Stewart v Nithsdale Wanderers'Wigtown's No.3 Mark Whorlow twists past his marker No.6 Ben Johnston

Saturday 10th January'Newton Stewart v Nithsdale Wanderers'Wigtown's No.3 Mark Whorlow twists past his marker No.6 Ben Johnston

South of Scotland League

Mid-Annandale 3 Upper-Annandale 1

Results from Saturday 10th January, 2015

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale v Heston Rovers – match postponed

Crichton 2 Fleet Star 3

Lochar Thistle v Newton Stewart – match postponed

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3 Edusport Academy 2

Wigtown and Bladnoch 2 Nithsdale Wanderers 1

Due to the adverse weather conditions only four matches survived last weekend with the Annandale derby at Lockerbie taking place on Friday evening when Mids beat Uppers by three goals to one. There were no goals in the first half although Mids could have been ahead with a couple of early chances that were missed. This first goal came on the hour mark when prolific goal scorer Nathan Muir opened the scoring following a goalmouth scramble. Muir was immediately yellow carded for his celebration which was his second yellow of the match and was sent off. Within the next four minutes a Denver Milligan double saw Mids leading their local rivals comfortably although before the end the visitors pulled a goal back from the penalty spot ten minutes from time after Barry Morton conceded a penalty which was converted by Upper’s Ryan Johnstone.

St Cuthbert Wanderers are now in a challenging position at the top of the league table following a very good three goals to two victory over Edusport Academy at St Marys Park. Saints found themselves two goals in arrears at the break with Edu scoring twice through Michael Martin after twenty minutes and Yannick Edna just before the half time whistle. John Kiltie started the fight back in the fifty-seventh minute with Martin Bell levelling the match with five minutes left to play and Saints striker Roman Soltys sealed the three points two minutes from time.

The match between Crichton and Fleet Star had a similar ring about it with Crichton going two goals in front before Star fought back to take the three points. Goals from Luke Hammond and Craig Campbell saw Crichton take a two goal advantage but with only eighteen minutes left to play James Picken pulled a goal back for the visitors. Four minutes later Ross Hunter scored the goal of the match from twenty five yards with Kevin Jamieson claiming the points for Fleet Star near the end of the match. Wigtown and Bladnoch now lead the South of Scotland League following a two goals to one victory over Nithsdale Wanderers in a match played on the Blairmount 3G Park.