Seven Up



ALTHOUGH Vale of Girvan started the new league campaign last Wednesday night with their first defeat in more than a year – albeit with an under-strength team against Drumley from Mossblown – they bounced back to their winning ways at the weekend.

On Saturday, they travelled up the road to Dalmellington, once again struggling for a team with six trialists in the squad, and came back home with a terrific win.

The game started at a fast pace leading to an early goal for the Vale. A good ball in from trialist Graham Lee was met by the head of Adam Stevenson, who nodded home from eight yards.

Doon Amateurs did not take long to cancel out the early goal when, two minutes later, James Ferguson equalised when he raced through the static defence before firing past McNellie.

David McVittie reinstated the Vale’s lead after 15 minutes when he skipped past four men before slotting home from 12 yards.

But, once again, Doon pulled the game back to level terms after Stevenson brought down Callum Spiers inside the box to leave the referee with no option but to award the penalty, which Spiers converted.

Vale Manager Gordon McIlwraith and assistant Tommy Robertson were getting redder by the minute as the blood pressure rose. Fortunately for the big man’s health, however, the Vale started to play more like they can.

McVittie slid a great through ball into the path of John McMillan, who made no mistake from 12 yards to restore the Vale’s lead.

Once again, though, Doon replied almost immediately when Tony Adams scored to send McIlwraiths’s blood pressure into the sky-high bracket.

McVittie and McMillan started to run the show in the midfield and won a corner kick.

McVittie’s corner caught everybody out before flying straight into the back of the net to put Vale back in front.

It was all Vale now and they looked like scoring every time they went up the park.

The pressure saw William Robertson brought down at the edge of the box to give Vale a free kick.

John McMillan slotted home the award to give Vale a two-goal lead.

Another trialist, young Lewis Clark, played in new signing Kenny Campbell to score Vale’s sixth. And the game was put to bed when Vale scored number seven courtesy of a Dean Robertson goal on the final whistle.

McIlwraith told the Carrick Gazette after the game: “It has been very frustrating the way things have worked out.

“After winning the Crosshill Summer Cup, a few of my top players have been otherwise engaged. We brought in a few trialists for the last two games and they have done me proud.”

He went on: “I thought John McMillan and David McVittie were outstanding today, along with man of the match Kenny Campbell.”

Vale of Girvan are at home to Caledonian next Saturday.