Share this article

Vale of Clyde 2

Girvan FC 0

girvan dropped three vital points on Saturday in Glasgow’s east end as they battle for promotion. The Seasiders struggled to get to grips with the game played on a tight park and the midfield cut a frustrated sight as they were generally bypassed throughout the game as play went from back to front.

Two second-half goals from a Jay Long penalty and a late Fraser Team strike were enough for the home side as they fight for survival in the survival in the first division.

The first half lacked any real goalscoring chances, with both defences comfortably dealing with any threat that came their way.

Ten minutes into the second half, however, the game burst into life when Long’s free kick flew just inches over the bar.

And a minute later the home side opened the scoring from a dubious penalty award. As the ball was crossed into a crowded Girvan penalty area, it appeared to strike an arm, though for most in the ground, it remained a mystery as to who it hit.

No mystery to referee Andrew Dallas, however. He pointed to the spot, ruling that the ball had struck a Girvan arm and Long made no mistake dispatching the ball past Keith Ross, although the Girvan keeper guessed right and got mighty close.

Girvan were angered when they had a similar appeal turned down on the hour.

Brian McLuckie brought on Aaran Connolly for Iain Cashmore in the hope his pace could cause problems and the change almost worked immediately. Alan Love’s threaded through ball sent Connolly through on goal but his shot was turned away for a corner.

McLuckie’s men continued to fight for an equaliser but they were hit on the break in the final minute when Team fired home the rebound from Long’s effort after Ross had made the save. Speaking after the game, chairman Tam McCreadie said it had been a poor performance from Girvan. He said: “It was a poor, poor game for Girvan. Wee pitches just don’t suit our style of play at all.

“Our midfield struggled and it wasn’t much of a spectacle. They played straight from back to front as it was not a pitch for an open game of football.

“But it’s these type of games we need to win if we want to go up.”

Girvan have added another midfielder to their squad with the arrival of Kyle Faulds on loan from SPL side St Mirren. The former U19 player is in the Saints first-team squad this season and will be at the club for the remainder of the season.

There is a distraction from league duty this weekend as Girvan take on neighbours Maybole in the first round of the Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup at Hamilton Park. The kick off is at 2pm.